Our last stop on my tour across Canada is Newfoundland! This special episode with CTV’s The Social had us exploring unique Canadian spirits and there isn’t anything quite as iconic as Screech Rum in Newfoundland! I created a delicious, tropical cocktail made with Screech Rum, Pineapple and Ginger Beer for the ladies on CTV’s The Social. Curious about the recipe? Make sure to follow the instructions below!
If you didn’t get a chance to watch this segment on TV, that’s okay! You can find the video linked here (psst, if it’s not linked, it’s because the episode is happening now!), as I chat about getting screeched in and the importance it has to Newfoundland’s traditions and culture!
I know when people think of screech rum (if you know it), they think of simply taking a shot and kissing a cod, but it can easily shake up into a delicious cocktail. I made sure this was easy, and made with local products! Check out the recipe below.
Celebrating the nation's Canadian and Jamaican roots with this delicious Screech Rum cocktail, made with pineapple juice and ginger beer!
– Difficulty: Intermediate
- 1.5 oz Screech Rum
- 3/4 oz Pineapple Juice
- 3/4 oz Lime Juice
- ½ oz Simple Syrup made with Brown Sugar 1 part Brown Sugar, 1 part Boiled Water
- 1 dash Potion House Aromatic Bitters *
- ½ oz Ginger Beer
- 1 sprig Mint and Pineapple Slice for garnish
- Add the first 5 ingredients into a shaker, fill with ice and give this a good shake.
- Strain over crushed ice in a tall glass and top with Ginger Beer.
- Garnish with Mint Sprig and Pineapple Slice.
*I mentioned Potion House bitters because it is local to here, but it basically your local replacement to Angostura Bitters, which you can easily find in your grocery store!