On a special segment with the ladies from The Social, we explore some of the unique Canadian Spirits we should be proud of for Canada Day. We land in Ontario and go back to our micro-distilling roots with a special Rye from Collingwood. We’ve shaken up a delicious cocktail using Strawberries, honey and some bubbly!
Didn’t get a chance to watch this special Canada Day segment on CTV’s The Social? That’s okay! Lucky for you, you can catch it online on theloop.ca. Head over to this link for details!
Now, there’s a little bit of a back story when it comes to Whisky from Ontario. Before some of the most famed Whisky names, including Wisers, Walker and so much more, Ontario had a thriving Micro-Distillery scene in the early 1800’s. I wanted to celebrate that with a small distillery coming out of Collingwood, Ontario. Funny enough, this whisky is called Collingwood, and one of my favourite Rye’s we create here!
I wanted to showcase how not all whisky drinks have to be spirit forward and heavy. So I shake this up with strawberry, honey and citrus with some sparkling rose. Want to know what recipe I created? Check it out below.
Strawberry Rose Shake
A bubbly and refreshing whisky cocktail, perfect for summer while representing the great country of Canada!
– Difficulty: Easy
- 1.25 oz Collingwood Rye
- 1/2 oz Orange Juice
- 2 Strawberries
- 2 dashes Hibiscus Bitters by Nickel 9 Distillery
- ½ tsp Honey
- 1.5 oz Sparkling Rosé Bambino Rosato
- In a shaker, muddle your 2 strawberries.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to your shaker (except sparkling wine), fill with ice and give this a good shake.
- Strain over ice and top with sparkling wine!
- You can easily shake the base of the cocktail before in advanced, pour it into a pitcher or container and top up with sparkling when your Canada Day celebrations begin to save you time.
- You can also serve this cocktail in a martini glass (without ice). Just make sure the sparkling wine is chilled.